How to Relieve a Headache Naturally
1. Drink more water: At the first sign of a headache, slowly drink a couple of large glasses of water or eat fruit/veggies with high water content. Headaches are frequently caused by dehydration.
2. Eat something: Going too long without food affects your blood sugar levels, which can lead to a headache. Choose healthy protein- or wholegrain-based snacks…not sugar snacks.
3. Get a massage: Get your shoulders rubbed or a professional massage of your entire body. Soft tissue massage relieves muscle tension and releases feel-good hormones
4. Stretch it out: Simple stretches loosen neck and shoulder muscles, helping to prevent tension headaches. For your neck, try this, slowly: place your chin on your chest and hold for 15 seconds. Keeping your chin tucked to your chest rotate your head left and hold 15 sec., then rotate to the right for a 15 second hold. Slowly come back to the center and straighten up. For your shoulders: Shrug both shoulders up and squeeze your neck and shoulders together, then slowly push both shoulders down and draw your chin straight down to your chest.
5. Find your pressure points: Stimulation of pressure points on your body can relieve headaches. Locate the fleshy spot between your thumb and forefinger. With your opposing thumb and forefinger, apply strong pinch pressure and massage for several minutes.
6. Apply a hot or cold pack: Heat applied to the neck, back or shoulders via a heat pack or hot shower relaxes tight muscles that can cause headaches. Cold compresses may be more effective for migraine or sinus headaches as they help constrict blood vessels and calm inflammation. Or, immerse your feet in a bucket of hot, then cold, water.
7. Try acupuncture: Many people who suffer from migraines and chronic pain swear by acupuncture, the ancient Chinese fine needle therapy. In my Brentwood office Affinity Acupuncture is readily available to help you.
8. Visit a chiropractor: As your Chiropractor, I can perform gentle spinal adjustments to correct impairments that may be causing your headaches. Call Knight Family Chiropractic today to get your adjustment: 615-856-1902.
9. Use aromatherapy: The scent of lavender, peppermint or chamomile essential oils can ease headaches. Try vaporizing oils in a burner or add 6-8 drops of oil to your bathwater. You can also blend oils to use in massage. Always dilute pure oils in coconut oil before placing directly onto your skin.
10. Re-evaluate your lifestyle: A poor diet, not enough sleep and exercise, and stress, can all make you unwell. You can change all this! Eat more fresh foods and make time for exercise, relaxation and rejuvenation. Your head will thank you!